Locating the right child care can be a major step in finding the best place to live and raise a family. With roughly 200 child care facilities in the Austin area, knowing where to start can be a challenge. Use the resources below to search and learn more about the different services available.
Licensed Child Care
To search for a specific type of child care by location, visit the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services licensed child care database. You can also call Family Connections at (512) 327-7660 to speak to a referral specialist who can help locate the type of care that meets your needs.
After School Care
For working parents, it is important to have a safe place for their children to be during the hours right after school, before going home. To search a list of 56 area elementary school programs by school district, visit Extend-A-Care. The Austin Independent School District (AISD) also offers Third Base after school care programs in North, Central and South Austin.
Child Care Tips
Follow these helpful tips when selecting a child care provider:
- Look at all your options, from non-profits and churches to private and public child care providers.
- Verify that the facility is licensed by the state.
- Schedule a visit.
- Make sure the facility is clean, safe (e.g., there are no hazardous utensils or exposed electrical outlets in reach) and in good condition.
- Confirm that the staff is prepared for emergencies and has medical records for all children.
- Ask about staff qualifications and turnover.
- Get the contact information of other parents and call them with any questions.